One of Spencer's favorite things to do is help me cook. As soon as it looks like I might do anything of consequence in the kitchen, his little feet patter over to the chair, he pushes it over while saying "help me! help me!" which in two-year old speak means "I'm coming to help you!"
He loves to help me measure and dump. He holds my hand as I whisk and stir. He's learning about all different types of food, experimenting with their colors and textures.
I hope the kitchen is always a place of gathering for us. I hope it becomes a place for nourishment, for both body and spirit. A place where I can learn about my children and they can hopefully learn something from me.
I met Kari Ann about a year ago. She has a magnetic personality. She's just one of those people you want to be friends with! She is so kind and smart. I love having an excuse to see her and her cute kids! Last weekend we met up at Stanford University to take a few family photos. I love how they turned out, you can just see how much fun they have together!
"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."
Today is my birthday! I'm not one for big parties or month-long celebrations. All I need is some good food, my favorite people and a few presents to open. This past year has been one of growth. I feel like I'm slowly figuring out who I am, who I want to be and how to get there.
If you know me at all, you know I love lists, goals, structure, plans. I decided to do a 30 before 30 list. If you aren't familiar with the idea, it's a list of 30 things I want to accomplish by the time I'm 30 years old. I've really tried to make these things feasible to accomplish. While I would have loved to put something like Go on a European tour on the list... I doubt that will be able to happen in the next 4 years! After a lot of thought, here's the final list:
1. Run a 5K
2. Plan our 10 year anniversary trip
3. Start a new photo project
4. Go berry picking
5. Throw myself a 30th birthday party
6. Make a family recipe book
7. Throw someone a surprise party
8. Send one piece of snail mail every month
9. Start saving for a home
10. Take a vacation by myself
11. Leave $100 tip for a waiter/waitress
12. Write more often
13. Go on a sailboat
14. Host a holiday dinner... either Thanksgiving or Christmas
15. Attend BYU education week or women’s conference
16. Have our family photos taken
17. Do something special for my mom’s 50th birthday
18. Start learning French
19. Go one month away from ALL social media
20. Plant something and keep it alive - even an herb garden!
21. Read Jesus the Christ
22. Start playing tennis again
23. Take voice lessons
24. Take a cheese and/or chocolate tasting class
25. Give 5 gift cards away to the homeless
26. Go 30 days without sugar
27. Learn to can and preserve food
28. Learn to drive a manual
29. Prepare one family name & take it to the temple
30. Refinish a piece of furniture
Do you like to make lists and goals? Have you done a 30 before 30 or something similar? Tell me about it!